Sunday, January 25, 2009

DREAMS DO COME TRUE




As I sat here, as a 50 year old black man, I was contemplating how to show my pride, express my honor and my feeling of satisfaction, with out coming across as a racial flag waving arrogant person. Then it came to me as clear as day. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stood for many things, but as he so eloquently put it "He had a Dream". On this MLK Day, celebrating his life, and his dream and on the eve of the greatest fulfillment of his dream, a black man, Barack Obama being inaugurated as President of the United States, it's all about personal vision, dreaming, setting goals and working to accomplish them.
This is the message I try to get across to every young lady that comes to my clinics, camps, and plays for me. Set goals, dream freely, express your dreams, work hard at making them reality and they will come true. No matter how many people say you can't do it, or say you're crazy... Dream on. Reach for the sky, anything is available to you, if your dream is big enough. Remember what I always quote...
"When your dreams and goals are bigger then the obstacles that get in your way, you will find a way to overcome those obstacles and obtain your dreams and goals".
Do you want to be a Varsity starter, All League, All State, play in College, you can do it, if you believe it.
After all, a black man is President of the United States, the reality of a persecuted black man's DREAM...

No comments: